All photographs made at Shadowood Farm in Palm City, FL
Interested in growing your own food? Shadowood offers individual raised garden plot rental spaces where dedicated people can learn and grow their own food using organic practices from mid-September through mid-May. No experience is needed, but total devotion to the process and farm policies is required.
Sorry, our garden spaces are full for the 2018/2019 growing season.
IF YOU would like to be placed on our waiting list:
Visit the farm in person to receive more information.
Register for and attend the following "How To Garden" workshops, which occur between September 12th, 2018 and October 27th, 2018: All About Seeds; How to Plant, Weed and Feed; Bugs, Critters and Fungus; Growing Tomatoes and Plant Staking.
Shadowood Farm is devoted to teaching people how to grow their own food using organic practices. Because our spaces are only available when existing gardeners give up their spaces, we do offer fabulous "How To" garden workshops, so people can learn to grow great food at home. Visit our Learning page for a full workshop schedule.
- This is NOT a casual, come when you want and do what you want, when you feel like it arrangement. We are extremely serious about growing food here. Respect for the farm, for the growing process and for all those who garden here is required.
- We’ve created your raised bed space and filled it with rich organic soil for you.
- We’ve provided your space with water-conscious, micro-jet irrigation that is automatically run by a timer and eliminates the need for most hand watering.
- Garden spaces are protected from large critters with solar-powered electric fencing.
- We supply a piece of freeze cloth to cover your space in the event of frost or freeze and provide you with a structured compost area.
- Information is shared on a regular basis with our gardeners: we discuss what is and is not working in garden plots and how to resolve pest or fungal issues, all while using strict organic practices.
- Small Spaces: Six Feet by Twelve Feet (72 sq. ft.): This is a perfect size for a single person, small family, or people who just want to get their "feet wet."
- Large Spaces: Six Feet by Twenty-four Feet (144 sq. ft.): This is a perfect size for a family, those with vegan/vegetarian households, or people who want a wide variety of vegetables and a steady crop rotation.
- JUMBO Spaces: Five Feet by Forty-two Feet (210 sq. ft.): This is a perfect size for a family, those with vegan/vegetarian households, or people who want a wide variety of vegetables and a steady crop rotation. None available in Season #9.
- Waist-High Gardens: We currently have two spaces for people with physical limitations that prohibit them from bending. Ask for more details.
- There are pre-season start-up fees and materials costs that are not included in the monthly rent. We are happy to explain these expenses more fully during your visit.